Monday, February 20, 2012

CAN'T FIND CRICUT 12x12 MATS? -- READ THIS!

If you have been shopping for green Cricut 12x12 Expression cutting mats recently, you have probably noticed that they have been very difficult to find, in stores and online. 
Well, it is because they aren't making the green mats anymore. Don't panic -- it just means buying and using the white 12x12 mats that used to be just for the Cricut Imagine machine. Now they've redesigned it to be used for both the Expressions and the Imagine machines.


You can use this 12x12 mat in your Expressions machine
It makes sense really, if you think about it. Why should the company have to make two separate mats for basically the same type of paper?
But there is something you need to know about the white Imagine mats. When you first get it, it won't seem as sticky as the original Expressions mats. In fact, there have been quite a few complaints that paper won't stick well after a few cuts. 
According to Cricut.com, these mats were designed to be washed with warm water to "reactivate" them and make them usable again. Here's is what the website said:"Wash the mat under warm water for approximately one minute (no soap). Let it air dry. If the mat is still not sticky enough, use a plastic scraper to roughen up the surface of the mat. Repeat the scraping as needed to improve the tackiness. If there is a buildup of lint or paper dust on the mat it can be washed with warm water and gently rubbed by hand to refresh the mat."
Honestly, I just bought a white Imagine 12x12 mat, and it worked great. I didn't have issues with the paper moving, but I also was using thinner paper. If your paper doesn't stick well, here are a few suggestions:
1. Use a Zig 2-way glue pen to add adhesive to the mat. You can find these pens at Michaels, Hobby Lobby and JoAnns. I usually put a dot of glue in each corner and a stripe down the sides. Then, you have to let it dry for 10-15 minutes. When the glue turns clear, it is a temporary hold and works much the same way as the original Cricut mats. You also can google Zig glue and Cricut mats and find lots of how-to videos.
2. Use blue painter's masking tape and tape the paper down to the mat on the top and bottom -- just not on the sides. 

I hope that helps, but feel free to email me with more questions.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to see these go, I like the green mats a lot more than the Imagine mats. Will try the Washing the mats and see if this helps, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Provo Craft did make some replacement mats that are peach in color for the Utah market. I have plenty of these so if anyone needs these just visit my site www.creativecutterroom.com.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the I Teach Scraps Blog!

Hello! I am excited to have my own blog site. This is way cool. I plan to use this site to promote my scrapbook instruction business, as well as pass on lots of scrapbooking tips and ideas to my family, friends and clients, both past and present. I'll also through a little of my personal life in for fun.Feel free to comment, ask questions, email me, ask me to post pictures of your projects, etc. Just let me know how I can help!